I received an email from the Vice President of Student Affairs here at TAMU regarding the selection of a new Reveille and this is an excerpt from it…
First, regardless of the type of dog selected to serve as the University mascot, she should possess the following characteristics:
1. Medium to large size – This body type is more consistent with the symbolism of a University mascot and is more suitable to her ability to perform the duties associated with the role.
2. Healthy – Even at a reduced level of activity, the demands of the position require that the mascot be in good physical condition. Furthermore, any genetically related health concerns should be properly prescreened by a veterinarian.
3. Outgoing personality (upbeat) – One of the endearing qualities of a mascot is its approachability and positive demeanor.
4. Likes people and is at ease in crowds – It is important that the University mascot portrays a genuine affection for people of varying ages in one-on-one and large group settings.
5. Not afraid of noise – Loud and frequent sounds are associated with a number of the University’s traditions; therefore, it is critical that the mascot be at ease in these environments.
6. Not highly reactive – Given the nature and frequency of interaction with the mascot, it is important that she not respond in a defensive or aggressive manner when faced with quick movements or sudden motion.
7. Positively motivated – The mascot should respond to instruction based on affirmation and encouragement.
i just thought that it’s humorous that were looking for a mascot with such outstanding credentials… Positively motivated, Outgoing, Medium to large size… it is interesting that we choose a new mascot based on our observations of him/her … what if we only got a job based on what other people observe about us and not by what we tell them, or if we didn’t have the option of notifying them of qualities we had … we just had to do them (i suppose that is already partly true).
imagine going into an interview and being asked if you had these 3 qualities? … Positively motivated, Outgoing, Medium to large size..
and for an altogether different mental image… now imagine your a dog going into an interview… ha
whose going to be the replacement?